Sound issues on iPhone 14 Pro Max are annoying. If your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers aren’t working, here’s how to fix it and get sound back on your phone.
You are trying to play some music. But for some reason, there’s no sound. You can’t hear music, or maybe there’s no audio accompanying your videos.
So, what’s the problem? It could be an issue with the audio settings or with the speakers themselves. If you’re using a headset, that might be the cause.
Don’t panic, though, as we’ve done the heavy lifting for you. Here’s how you can fix the sound on your iPhone 14 Pro Max if your speakers have stopped working.
Note: information in this article apply to iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Reasons Why the Speakers on iPhone 14 Pro Max Aren’t Working
Here are the most common reasons why your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers are not working:
- Silent mode is turned on.
- A Bluetooth accessory is connected.
- The speakers on your iPhone need to be cleaned.
- Your operating system needs to be updated.
- Physical or liquid damage.
- Headphone glitch
- Airplay is connected.
Now that you know why your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers are not working, let’s jump into the fixes.
How to fix iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers not working issue
1. Force Restart Your iPhone
The first solution you should try if your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers are not working is to force restart your device. This simple step will help get rid of any software glitch that might have caused your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers to stop working. Don’t worry, you won’t lose any data when you force restart your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Press and quickly release the volume up button.
- Press and quickly release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the Side button and release it when the Apple logo appears.
2. Clean Your iPhone’s Speakers
If you are still experiencing problem, there may be dust and dirt affecting your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers, causing them to produce no sound. To avoid this, make sure to clean them regularly to protect them from damage. Here’s how:
- Remove any plastic film, cases, or screen protectors from your iPhone.
- Gently clean your speakers using a small soft-bristled brush. Make sure the brush is dry and clean before using (a new toothbrush works well).
3. turn the volume all the way up
You may think that your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers are not working because you accidentally turned the volume too low. To correct this, simply press the Volume Up button on the side of your iPhone. You can also use Siri to adjust your iPhone’s volume. Simply say: “Hey Siri, turn up the volume.”
4. Check the sound settings on your iPhone
If you already have your device’s volume turned up, but still find that your iPhone 14 speakers are not working—for example, incoming texts have no alert sounds—here’s how to check your other sound settings:
It’s convenient to use Silent Mode and Focus to focus at work. Therefore, a simple reason why your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers are not working could be that these features are still turned on.
Here’s how to turn off Silent Mode:
- Find the Ring/Silent switch, located on the top-left side of your iPhone.
- If Silent Mode is on, an orange strip shows.
- Move the switch towards the screen to cover the orange strip. This turns off Silent Mode.
To get your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers working again, you may also want to toggle the ringer switch. Do this by flipping it down (or towards the back of the phone) so that the orange underlay appears, then flip it back up.
Here’s how to turn off Focus:
- Bring up your iPhone’s Control Center by swiping down from the top right of your screen.
- Tap any Focus mode that is currently enabled to disable it.
If your device isn’t on Silent or Focus Mode, the problem of the iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers not working may lie in your sound settings. Try adjusting the sound volume from the settings app of your iPhone. This will help you determine whether your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers are damaged and need to be repaired or replaced.
- Go to the Settings app.
- Select Sounds & Haptics.
- Under the Ringtone and Alert Volume section, tap and slide the volume slider to the right. This increases the speaker volume.
- If there is sound, your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers are functional. If not, it’s likely a hardware issue that needs repairing.
5. Update iOS
Apple frequently releases updates to fix bugs and glitches, so you can solve the issue of iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers not working by simply updating your device to the latest version of iOS. Here’s how:
- Plug your iPhone into a power source and connect it to the internet.
- Navigate to Settings > General > Software Update.
- If a software update is available, hit Download and Install > Install. If not, your iPhone is up to date.
6. Disable silence unknown callers
If the Silence Unknown Callers setting is turned on, you won’t hear calls from unknown numbers that aren’t saved in your Contacts. (Those calls will be silenced, sent to voicemail, and listed in Recents.) To turn off this setting, go to Settings > Phone and tap Silence Unknown Callers, then switch it off.
7. Is The Sound Playing from a Bluetooth device?
Sometimes our sound is connecting to a nearby or previously used Bluetooth device, such as headphones, a speaker, or car. If your phone is currently connected to any Bluetoot accessory, it’s possible that accessory is playing the sound, rather than your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers.
The easiest way to check if the sound is routing to a BT device is to turn Bluetooth off temporarily.
Go to Settings > Bluetooth and toggle it off.
8. Make sure you’re not sending audio to AirPlay
Likewise, if you’ve recently used AirPlay to send audio or video to your TV or another AirPlay device, it’s possible it’s in AirPlay mode. To check, swipe down from the top right of the screen to bring up the Control Center and then tap the AirPlay icon at the top right of the music playback section. If another device is receiving audio with AirPlay, tap iPhone to revert back to your own device.
9. Make Sure Your iPhone Isn’t Stuck In Headphones Mode
Sometimes our iPhones get stuck thinking that headphones are plugged in when they aren’t, so audio isn’t being played through the speakers. We call this stuck in headphones mode. Here’s how to unstick:
- Grab a pair of headphones and insert them into the lightening port of the iPhone and then immediately pull them out. Do this repeatedly.
- If you’ve been listening with Bluetooth headphones, your iPhone may believe that it’s still connected to the headphones even after they turn off. Try turning off Bluetooth on your iPhone through the Control center or Settings app.
- Make sure there’s no debris of any kind in the lightening port. Even a small amount of dust can cause an issue, so it’s worth cleaning with compressed air even if you can’t physically see anything in there.
10. Reset all settings
If your iPhone 14 Pro Max speaker not working is a recent problem, a software glitch may be to blame. Try resetting your iPhone settings.
- Start the Settings app on your iPhone and navigate to General.
- Select Transfer or Reset iPhone and then Reset.
- Select Reset All Settings.
- Now, you would be prompted to enter your iPhone passcode. After that, hit Reset All Settings again to finish.
Once your iPhone 14 Pro Max has rebooted, test the speakers to see if they are working.
11. Water Accident? Let It Dry
One of the most common consequences of water damage on your iPhone is a malfunctioning speaker. The liquid can quickly make its way to the internal component linked to the open grills. So if you’ve had speaker issues on your iPhone 14 Pro Max after such an accident, let your device dry off.
To dry out your iPhone’s speakers, stand your phone at about a 45 degree angle with the speakers facing down. Use a lint-free cloth to catch any drips; any other absorbent material, including cotton balls, could further damage your device. If you think there’s still water in any recesses, gently tap your device with the charging port facing down. Consider placing it near a small fan to increase air circulation.
Despite what you might have heard, you shouldn’t seal your phone in a bag filled with rice. This can further corrode elements in your smartphone. However, you can try silica gel. You’ll often find packets of this in new pairs of shoes, because they soak up moisture.
12. Restore your iPhone to factory settings
If you’re still having trouble with your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers not working, it’s probably time to reset and set up your device as new.
But before going through with this fix, be sure to back up your iPhone so that if things aren’t resolved, at least you won’t lose any data.
- Start the Settings app on your iPhone and navigate to General.
- Select Transfer or Reset iPhone and then Erase all Content & Settings.
13. What If Your iPhone 14 Pro Max Speakers Still Don’t Work?
If your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers still aren’t working after trying all the above solutions, it may be time to reach out to Apple for further investigation. They’ll be able to tell if your iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers are damaged, and fix or replace any relevant parts that are broken or malfunctioning. You can contact Apple Support by phone, online, or better yet if you’re looking for a quick diagnosis go to an Apple Store. We suggestthat you book an appointment with the Genius Bar to avoid waiting in line at the Apple Store.
Easily fix iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers not working issue
It’s common for technology to have a hiccup here and there. By following the list of solutions above, you should be able to quickly fix the problem of the iPhone 14 Pro Max speakers not working.
Did any of our tips help you fix your iPhone 14 Pro Max speaker problems? If so, we’d love to hear which one! Let us know in the comments section below.